15She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.
16She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
17She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.
18She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.
19She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.
20She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.
21She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.
22She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.
23Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.
24She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.
25Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
26She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
27She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
28Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
29Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.
30Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.
31Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.
I fell in love with this verse when I was reading Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian. The book and this scripture helped me through some of what I thought was our lowest points. But I realized that it was just a test we were going through and I was going to make sure we ACED it! When I read it (and look at my wrist since I have Proverbs 31 tattooed the inside of my left wrist) I feel my spirit lift! I feel as though whatever it was I was just feeling was just handed over to GOD to handle. This scripture refocuses me in the best of ways.
Proverbs 31 Ministries lays it out basically for us to understand the principles of that verse.
The Seven Principles of the Proverbs 31 Woman
The Proverbs 31 Woman...
- Pursues an ongoing, personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Loves, honors, and greatly enriches the life of her husband, encouraging and supporting his leadership within his family and his church.
- Nurtures the next generation, shaping and molding the children who will one day define who we are as a community and as a nation.
- Creates a warm and loving environment for family and friends.
- Is a faithful steward of the time and money God has entrusted to her.
- Speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction as she encourages others and develops godly friendships.
- Shares the love of Christ by extending her hands to help the poor and opening her arms to the needy.
And those are some principles I don't mind practicing on a day to day basis!
As for the tattoo, I chose to get it on the left so that the meaning could be close to my heart. It was a birthday gift to myself last year.