Those Who Love Me!

Turbo Fire!

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Day One (May 1st 2010): My MilSpouse Story

Since it's Military Spouse Appreciation Week, Wives of Faith has an AMAZING thing going. They have this carnival going on. Basically every day during the carnival you post a blog on a specific topic. The topics have already been chosen, you just have to blog about it! I'm starting late but, I keep saying this and I know it's true, I started a blog during this week for a reason. Whatever it is that led me to do it, I feel it will lead me to some great things to come! So here we go with the first topic. You guys are going to get a blog post overload today and tomorrow probably because I am trying to catch up, LOL!

So here goes our story...

I remember very clearly sitting at a career fair assembly in high school and listening to a Navy recruiter telling us juniors and seniors how WONDERFUL joining the Navy/Military would be. As I yawned, anxious for their time to be up and get off the stage, I said to myself I would NEVER have anything to do with the military!!!

::crickets::

Guess they were right when they said, "Never say never!!".

I met The Hubster in September of 2003. My Aunt and Uncle were stationed in Lemoore, CA and my Uncle was on deployment so I came up to help my Aunt out with my cousins. I don't think she really needed my help since she had been active Navy as well so she was clearly capable of handling deployments just fine. And my cousins weren't babies either. Anywho, on this middle of nowhere base I started to make some associates/friends. And since I am such a fitness nut, I was able to talk one of my girls into going to the gym with me. And there he was! My future husband! He was on the cardio equipment in front of us and I know I was probably staring way too hard. He got off the equipment, turned and looked at me, smiled and walked away ::sigh:: I drug my friend to the gym for a week straight trying to see him again. But no luck.

One day my friend came to pick me up and while we were driving she casually said:

Her: "Remember that guy you were looking at at the gym?"
Me: "Yeah"
Her: "Well, I ran into him the other day at the barracks'
Me: "And?"
Her: "He asked about you."
::turning to her with a big smile:: "Oh really? What did he say woman!!!?!?"
Her: "He asked me to give you his number"
Me: "SHUT UP!"
::she hands me the paper::
Me: "YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

But, my nervous self didn't call ::sniff sniff:: I was super nervous. Didn't know what to say. I mean. I couldn't call him up and be like "You were looking real good from the back". WTH?! LOL! So I just put the number to the side hoping to just run into him again and talk to him in person. And that's exactly what happened. A week later I was picking my friend up by the barracks. She came to the car and told me to get out. As we walk around the corner, guess who I bump into?! Yep! The guy from the gym!! My friend "excused herself" and left us to talk. We got to talking and it was like we knew each other for years! He liked the same music as me. Shared mutal interests. He had a great smile. It couldn't get much better than this!

We started officially dating a month later. I was suppose to be heading back home to Los Angeles and I knew it would be hard trying to maintain a somewhat long distance relationship but, I was willing to give it a try. Plus he was getting ready to go on cruise the same month I was going back home. He asked me to stay and we moved in together October 2004 just 2 weeks before he left.

Now that was hard. Not only was I getting our new place in order but I was doing it without him. I missed him so much. Emailing was all fine and dandy but, I wanted him home. They were going to be hitting port in Pearl Harbor for the whole week of Thanksgiving. I was so excited because then I could talk to him on the phone ALOT! But, someone had something else in mind. He FLEW me out to Hawaii to spend the WHOLE WEEK with him while in port. How freaking cool was that?! My Dad worked for Hilton at the time and he booked us a room at Hilton Hawaiian Village right on Waikiki Beach. When I tell you I had the time of my life, I mean it! Beauty was everywhere.

Two nights before I had to leave him again, we were enjoying to weather and view from our room on the balcony looking out at the ocean. The mood was so serene. He looked at me and said "You know I love you right? And I don't ever want to lose you. It would make me very proud, if you took my last name. Esha, will you marry me?". My mouth hit the floor! And like most women, all I could say was "YES!!!". Needless to say, the rest of my stay in Hawaii was spent on Cloud 9. I don't think I took that smile off my face!

He was due home early Feb 2005 but the Tsunami happened and the ship was sent to help out so they were extended. He came home later the following month and had to choose new orders not long afterwards. He asked me to help him but I felt like I had no right to help him choose since I was just his fiance. That decision had to be made by him. After much talk about it I finally helped him choose....Great Lakes would be the next duty station and he would be an RDC. We went out to Chicago to go house hunting and on the plane ride back home, he said "I don't want us to leave California without you having my last name". And we were married December 2005 a month before we drove across country to Great Lakes.

We've had our ups and downs. What couple doesn't?! We had many downs when we were TTC. It was so frustrating. It took us almost 3 years to have our princess. But we always make it work. Marriage alone is hard work. Now throw in the craziness of Military life and you have to work even HARDER to keep your foundation strong.

We just celebrated our 4 year wedding anniversary December 2009. He was gone on an 8 month deployment but he didn't forget. Gifts sent from the middle of the ocean, heartfelt emails and the awesome opportunity to have our video teleconference ON our anniversary was priceless. We're in this for the long haul. No deployment, no haters, no storm will shake what we have built.

0 Love Its or Hate Its:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...