Those Who Love Me!

Turbo Fire!

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Horchata

Let's get to cooking our way through my command's cookbook! If you aren't sure what I'm talking about, check out the original post HERE. First up, Horchata.

I've never had horchata. I always see it when I go to Mexican restaurants but, never got it. I just didn't know what it was. And still didn't find out what it was exactly until I looked in this cookbook and found out it basically was rice milk! So freaking simple!!




Started out with a cup of rice (I used jasmine rice because that's the rice I buy) and a cup and a half of water. You let that sit overnight or at least 4 hours. I let mine sit overnight.



Then you blend the rice and water mixture and strain the liquid only into a pitcher.



This is what the mixture looks like. As you can see I used a fine mesh strainer. I liked the strainer but I might try a cheesecloth next time.



This is how much of the liquid that came from the straining. To this I added milk (almond milk since Mini Me is allergic to cow's milk), water, ground cinnamon, vanilla and sugar. I had to change containers because this beauty wasn't going to be able to hold everything.



After mixing everything together, this is what our final product looked like! And boy do we love it! It's a little too sweet. So next time I may use just one cup of sugar instead of two. And not sure how to get the cinnamon to dissolve all the way. Oh well, it was still yummy!! I'm blogging and sipping on glass number 2 right now.

Horchata Rating: 4.5 Stars
Keeper or Ditcher: Keeper!



0 Love Its or Hate Its:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...